What You Can Do to Protect Your Pet from Poisons

 

Pet from Poisons

We all do our best to protect our pets from poisons, but accidents happen. Familiarize yourself with the common symptoms of poisoning. Watch for signs of mischief in your kitchen, bathroom, and laundry room. Create and regularly review an emergency plan for your pet ingesting something poisonous. Make sure you know the location of the nearest emergency animal hospital at home or on the road.

Pet from Poisons

Save our number, a local emergency vet, and the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center on your phone. If you suspect your cat dog may have eaten something toxic or gotten into a dangerous substance, give us a call immediately. If we’re not open, call the emergency vet or Poison Control at (888) 426-4435. The ASPCA line charges a fee for calls but can give you accurate and helpful advice that may save your pet’s life.

 

Save any packaging from the product you suspect your pet ingested and bring it with you if you’re directed to bring your pet to be seen by a veterinarian. Do not induce vomiting unless you are explicitly directed to do so by a professional.

Pet from Poisons

When it comes to your pet and possible poisons, you’re always better safe than sorry. Survey your home and make sure the cabinets you store your cleaners, medications, and dry goods are pet-proofed. Read the products’ label before bringing them into your home and only feed your pals treats created specifically for them. If your pet shows any signs of being poisoned, like vomiting, lethargy, or if you find a package with bite marks in it and someone is looking extra guilty, give us a call right away.

Heartworm Disease

Although the heartworm parasite can survive all year long, it becomes even more prevalent in the spring and summer after being somewhat dormant in the winter. That’s why year-round parasite protection is so important. If you do not yet have a heartworm prevention plan in place for your dog or cat, just schedule an appointment with us and we will help you decide on the most appropriate product.

Understanding Heartworm Transmission

Heartworm is a tiny parasite that can live inside the body of an infected mosquito. Transmission occurs when that mosquito bites your pet. Reproduction can happen very quickly once the heartworm makes its way inside of your pet’s body. The heartworm that was originally microscopic in size can grow to more than 12 inches and reproduce dozens of times.

Although it is far more common for dogs to acquire heartworm, the disease has a deadlier course with cats. We agree with the American Veterinary Medical Association that puppies can start using preventive products for heartworm by the time they reach eight weeks old. It isn’t necessary at this early stage to complete any other type of testing.

By the time your puppy reaches the age of six months, we will complete a heartworm test to make sure she is heartworm negative before continuing or changing preventive products. Since there is little we can do for cats with heartworm, we recommend keeping your feline friend indoors.

Heartworm Testing and Prevention 

It only requires a simple blood test to determine if a dog has heartworm. Unfortunately, we must complete several blood tests on cats before confirming the presence of the parasite. The past recommendations for heartworm prevention were to wait until the early spring to start using it on your pet and discontinue it in the winter. The American Heartworm Association now advises pet parents to keep up with preventive medication or products continually throughout the year. This can help to kill other parasites besides heartworm.

Common Signs of Heartworm in Companion Animals

With cats, the primary symptom associated with heartworm infestation is difficulty breathing. This is due to the parasite living in their lungs. Dogs display more varied symptoms because the heartworm can live in the ventricles of the heart as well as the heart itself. Typical symptoms of canine heartworm include loss of appetite, fatigue, coughing, vomiting, lethargy, and weight loss.

Heartworm infestation is painful and sometimes deadly for your pet. It’s also a long and costly process to treat it. That’s the bad news. The good news is that heartworm infestation is entirely preventable with a product appropriate to your pet’s species, breed, age, and lifestyle. Your pet’s annual check-up is a great time to discuss your concerns about parasite prevention. We also encourage you to contact us if your pet shows any of the symptoms of heartworm disease listed above.

Leave a Reply